06/07/2015

// what books to read to overcome a reading slump

We all have those times when we get too busy and barely have time to touch a book. It could be work or school preventing us from doing so. The last few months, I've been overwhelmed with the workload in school. I only had time to do the basics: which was eat, sleep, work. Often times it could be hard to get back to it. You don't want anything too heavy or intense. I was recommended by my good friend Reign to read some of  Colleen Hoover's books and alas! I was not disappointed. So here I am doing you a favour by recommending her books to you! Most of her books are stand alone and her stories are heart-wrenching. She really does know how to tug on your heartstrings. Here are some of her books I've read and wholeheartedly recommend:



1. Ugly Love

Goodreads | Book Depository | Amazon


Synopsis:

When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.Never ask about the past.Don’t expect a future.They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.Hearts get infiltrated.Promises get broken.Rules get shattered.Love gets ugly


My thoughts:


I read this book whilst I was on the plane to Arizona and damn I was so intrigued. I shamelessly devoured this book in less than four hours. This was such a page turner! I wanted to know about Miles' past. Miles Archer.  You can never have enough of him. By the time you finish, you'll end up wanting and craving more of him. I loved how the chapters in Miles' POV, the ones about his past were written like poems. Also did you know that this was getting turned into a movie? Watch the first teaser here.


2. Maybe Someday


Goodreads | Book Depository | Amazon


Synopsis:

At twenty-two years old, Sydney is enjoying a great life: She’s in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her best friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers that Hunter is cheating on her—and she’s forced to decide what her next move should be.
Soon, Sydney finds herself captivated by her mysterious and attractive neighbor, Ridge. She can't take her eyes off him or stop listening to the passionate way he plays his guitar every evening out on his balcony. And there’s something about Sydney that Ridge can’t ignore, either. They soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one.
A passionate tale of friendship, betrayal, and romance, Maybe Someday will immerse readers in Sydney’s tumultuous world from the very first page


My thoughts: 
This book was just - WOW! If not mistaken this was my very first Colleen Hoover book. Ridge is such an amazing person. I LOVE RIDGE. The fact that he's a guitar player/songwriter and attractive is such a bonus. Tate and Ridge's relationship is goals, they were meant for each other.To make things even better, this book has it's own soundtrack which is totally genuis, by the way! It's one thing seeing the lyrics of the songs they've created in the book but to be able to hear it as well is mind-blowing. 
3. Confess
Synopsis:

At age twenty-one, Auburn Reed has already lost everything important to her. In her fight to rebuild her shattered life, she has her goals in sight and there is no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.For once, Auburn takes a chance and puts her heart in control, only to discover that Owen is keeping a major secret from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.To save their relationship, all Owen needs to do is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin

My thoughts: 
The way Colleen Hoover has written this book was pure genius! I loved how Auburn, Adam and Owen were all connected, how Owen makes his paintings through people's confessions and how we can actually see the painting in the book. His art was beautiful. I loved how they both accepted each other's passed and accepted their flaws. They were both effortlessly perfect. 
I hope you take my advice by reading this books and that you enjoy them as much as I did. What about you? What would you recommend to people who's been on a reading slump? I'd l'd love to read about them on the comments below. Happy reading!

6 comments:

  1. Ugly Love has pretty much my ideal romantic trope: friends with benefit turns into real love haha. Her books sound awesome, thanks for the recs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen Hoover is a genius! you definitely have to read these ah x

      Delete
  2. I've only read one Hoover's book, Maybe Someday, and I agree! It's so beautiful and made me cry. And Ridge is just sweet! Glad you like it too :)

    Tiffany @ The Bookish Thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi tiffany, thank you for stopping by in our blog and i appreciate the comment heh

      ah you need to read confess and ugly love! please read it soon :)

      Delete
  3. I'm in a horrible reading slump right this moment, so I'm definitely reading one of these. Hopefullyyyy, I can read again. *crosses fingers*

    Nirvana @ Quenching the Quill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these books will get you out of it i promise x

      Delete