12/07/2015

// arc review: six of crows by leigh bardugo


Title: Six of Crows, (Six of Crows #1)
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publication: September 20th 2015 by Henry Holt and Co.
Format: ARC, 462 pages
Source: New Leaf Literary

Genre: Fantasy, Thriller

Synopsis:

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price--and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...
A convict with a thirst for revenge.
A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.
A runaway with a privileged past.
A spy known as the Wraith.
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums. 
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes. 
Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction--if they don't kill each other first.






Review:

Before everything else, I just wanted to say a massive thank you to Leigh Bardugo and Ms. Temperly of New Leaf Literary for giving me the opportunity to read and be able to review "Six of Crows". Myself being a huge fan of Leigh's books and her writing, I was really excited to immerse myself again to the familiar Grisha world and did not think twice in reading this. Alas! It did not disappoint at all. This has got to be one of the most anticipated releases this year and honestly, it deserves all the hype around it. As always, I was amazed by her writing, world building and the way she develops her characters. She really knows how to take you into a different world. I'm sorry Grisha trilogy, you're still one of my favourites but Leigh has really outdone herself in writing this new books. If you're anxious about reading this because you haven't read the Grisha trilogy yet, you need not to worry because the plot of this book does not rely on her other books. Although some of the characters we've come to love from the trilogy does get mentioned throughout the book which just made me scream internally (because of the fangirl I am)

I usually skim read books, devouring and finishing it one sitting. But with this one, I really took my time in savouring and admiring the words, the characters I'm getting to know and the world being unfolded right in front of me. Six of Crows has the perfect balance of adventure and romance and I enjoyed the fact that the book is told in six different POVs, allowing me to have a really good grasp of the characters. Six completely different characters, with different personalities and pasts and I thought it was genius how Ms. Bardugo intertwined their stories. The main cast is unique from each other, all of them having a strong sense of identity from the place they came from. It's brilliant how she came up with all of these detailed ideas for places and culture without giving too much information that would burden her readers. I loved all of the characters but if someone was to ask me who would my favourite character/s be, it would have to be Kaz. He's smart, always two steps ahead from his opponent's and he's confident. 

I really, really enjoyed reading this book and is one of my best reads this year. The only thing I hated about this book is........... just kidding I don't hate anything about it all, I just hate the torture of having to wait for another year for me to get my hands on the second book. I 100% recommend that you to get this book when it comes out this September. You can pre-order it from the links I gave above. And if you haven't read the Grisha Trilogy, what the heck are you waiting for? You're really missing out! 


5 comments:

  1. "Although some of the characters we've come to love from the trilogy does get mentioned throughout the book which just made me scream internally"

    Screamed internally?? I screamed externally, repeatedly, and loudly xD ahaha. Wonderful review, and I agree with everything, of course =D Though my favorite character was definitely Nina <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's true :-))))) i screamed internally and externally ahah

      hey i love nina too!

      Delete
    2. Haha okay good, so it wasn't just me screaming randomly and startling my dog xD Did you have a favorite couple? =D

      Delete
    3. kaz and inej are lowkey frustrating but they're so cute they better get together in the second book! matthias and nina are so cute too ah
      :-( who's yours?

      Delete
    4. Nina and Matthias are probably my favorite couple. As you said, Kaz and Inej are lowkey frustrating but I still hope they pull it together somehow!

      Delete