10/08/2015

// book review + discussion: aristotle and dante discover the secrets of the universe by benjamin saenz


Title: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Author: Benjamin Alire Saenz
Publication: 21st February of 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover, 368 pages
Genre: Contemporary, LGBTQIA

Goodreads // Amazon // Book Depository

Synopsis: 

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Review: 

First of all, I would like to thank Reign for recommending me this book and to my cousin, Christian for buying me this book along with An Ember in the Ashes. I was so happy I was finally able to read this because everyone I know loved this book, and alas!It did not disappoint. 

The book is narrated by Aristotle who-prefers-to-be-called Ari, is a calm fifteen year old who likes being alone. He doesn't like being with other people his age. He doesn't get them and felt like he doesn't fit in.  Everyone thinks he's such a loner but it doesn't bother him at all. He also feels like there's something or someone missing from his life. 

And then things changed when Dante came along..... I adore him so much. He is such a unique character with genuine kindness in his heart. Dante who loves to talk, who would save a bird with a broken wing and who despises shoes as he felt that it was unnatural. He made Ari see things differently and became his first true friend. 

This is one of the best coming of age novel I've read. No words nor painting could capture or describe how beautiful this novel is. Although this is an LGBT novel, half the book also touches on family, friendships and loyalty. 

I loved Benjamin Saenz's writing. It was simple without being simplistic and has a lyrical sense to it. You could feel as if it was Ari writing to you. And even though the whole novel is written in his pov, we get a really good grasp of the other characters and their personalities: Dante and both their ever loving parents. 
Of course, another reason why I loved this book more was because there's a rescue dog called “Legs” and I am such a sucker for dogs, especially rescued ones. 

Reading this book truly felt like I was with Ari and Dante off to discover the secrets of the universe. This book is so precious and has made me feel all sorts of emotions. I really hope you guys give this book a chance and give it a read! 


** credits to Cat for the post cover ** 

No comments:

Post a Comment