16/08/2015

// book review + discussion: the young elites by marie lu

Title: The Young Elites, (The Young Elites, #1)
Author: Marie Lu
Publication: 7th of October 2014 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover, 355 pages
Genre: Fantasy, Dystopia


Synopsis: 

I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside.

Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.
Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all.
Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen.Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her. It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt.


Review:

I have just finished reading The Young Elites and I’m trying to get my shit together because I am a complete mess. I forgot how much pain can Marie Lu inflict on you through her writing. I’ve been a massive fan of her debut trilogy so I was expecting A LOT from it and she without a doubt haven’t lost her magic. A few pages in and I was already intrigued and invested. There was never a dull moment in the book, it was fast paced, never boring. Her writing was FANTASTIC, the world she created was vivid and very intricate. It was detailed without being overburdening. TYE definitely showcased her skills. 

A sickness similar to the plague has swept through the lands of Kennetra twelve years ago, claiming thousands of lives. However, a change happened on the ones afflicted, altering them physically and magically. They had markings and power no human possess. They were seen as cursed and were called the “Malfettos”. The story is told from multiple POVs but the main protagonist is Adelina Amouteru. Adelina is a sixteen year old who bears scars from the blood fever and has also lost her left eye in the process. She lived with her sister Violetta and her father who complicated her life. He was cruel and never loved her like a father should love his daughter. She was blamed for her father’s failing business and he was actually going to take up an offer to give her up in exchange of money. After finding out, she decides to finally escape from him by running away. Although the story begins when Adelina is rescued by Enzo and Raffaele, members of a group whom they call themselves the “Daggers”. 

The “Daggers” are a group of young Elite Malfettos who are using their unique skills against people like the Inquisitors who oppresses and continue to kill their kind. They want to put an end to this by overthrowing the King. Teren on the other hand is the head Inquisitor whose soul purpose is to put and end to the Daggers and the Malfettos. 

The story was filled with plot twists and betrayals which kept me at the edge of my seat. It was also very dark which is a check for me. Adelina is not your ordinary heroine, she is a very powerful character and isn’t heroic at all. She is filled with hate and anger, and enjoys what her power could do. Even if it means hurting a person. But despite all of that, she also remains very sympathetic. How can someone bad could also be so good? I also enjoyed reading from the different POVs of the cast. Enzo, Rafael and Teren had distinct personalities and they definitely helped shape the story. 


Overall, I thought that this was a good book which I really enjoyed. It was really entertaining and had all the qualities I was looking for in a book. I cant wait to get my hands on the second instalment, “The Rose Society” which comes out this October. If you haven’t read any Marie Lu books yet, what the hell are you doing? Get your ass out and buy or borrow from your local library the Legend trilogy and The Young Elites. Thanks for reading <33 

** Disclaimer: the picture used above aren't mine. Credits to the rightful owner ** 

10 comments:

  1. You praise this book so highly! I had completely written it off my TBR because I read many reviews saying it was a disappointment. I'll have to put it back on the list now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wouldn't call it a disappointment, but nothing beats legend trilogy heheh. it's quite different but its still good <333

      Delete
  2. I'am must Reading This book!!

    Kisses from Poland fan Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchased The Young Elites monthsssss ago and I haven't even read it yet! My plan was to pick this up first, get a feel for her writing, and if I loved it, commit to reading AND FINISHING The Legend Trilogy. Of course my plan hasn't happened yet because I suck at committing to a series unless it blows me away, but it will happen soon . . . hopefully lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. girl what are you doing! finish legend trilogy now then the young elites next...... good thing about legend trilogy is that the series is already complete so you could just binge read hahah!

      Delete
  4. I loved The Young Elites, and every time I see someone hating on this book, I'm just like, Shake it off! Haha.. :D I haven't read the Legend trilogy yet, but I'm expecting it's even more awesome! :)

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes definitely! prepare some tissues and possibly ice cream though because it's going to hit you hard :)

      thanks so much for stopping by on our blog! x

      Delete
  5. How funny, I just posted my review of this book yesterday! I enjoyed this book as well :D I haven't read the Legend series yet but now I'm a huge fan of Marie Lu and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg yes! i can't wait to read your review about it :) if ever you read the trilogy and need someone to talk to and cry about it to you can always message me.

      Thank you for stopping by on our blog! x

      Delete