03/03/2016

// book review + discussion: fans of the impossible life by kate scelsa



Title: Fans of the Impossible Life
Author: Kate Scelsa
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Book
Format: Paperback, 336 pages





Synopsis: 


This is the story of a girl, her gay best friend, and the boy in love with both of them.



Ten months after her recurring depression landed her in the hospital, Mira is starting over as a new student at Saint Francis Prep. She promised her parents she would at least try to act like a normal, functioning human this time around, not a girl who sometimes can’t get out of bed for days on end, who only feels awake when she’s with Sebby. 



Jeremy is the painfully shy art nerd at Saint Francis who’s been in self-imposed isolation after an incident that ruined his last year of school. When he sees Sebby for the first time across the school lawn it’s as if he’s been expecting this blond, lanky boy with a mischievous glint in his eye.  

Sebby, Mira’s gay best friend, is a boy who seems to carry sunlight around with him like a backlit halo. Even as life in his foster home starts to take its toll, Sebby and Mira together craft a world of magic rituals and secret road trips, designed to fix the broken parts of their lives. 

As Jeremy finds himself drawn into Sebby and Mira’s world, he begins to understand the secrets that they hide in order to protect themselves, to keep each other safe from those who don’t understand their quest to live for the impossible.

A captivating and profound debut novel, "Fans of the Impossible Life" is a story about complicated love and the friendships that change you forever.


Review:


Special thanks to Department 51 for giving me a copy of this book. Warning: This review contains spoilers!

To be honest, I haven't even heard of this until Isha told me about it. I didn't research this book, so I didn't know what to expect. I only read the synopsis at the back of the book. I wasn't expecting to like this books as much as I like this book now. I was expecting it to be a romantic book and even a love triangle between Sebby, Mira and Jeremy. All my expectations were proven wrong. It was not a bisexual love triangle nor a book about romance. It's a book about misfits/broken people trying to keep it together and clinging to each other for hope. I have to say this book is one of the most splendid and most diverse book I have ever come to read about.

Fans of the Impossible Life is told from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd person perspectives. I haven't read any book that is told from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd person perspective and I didn't think that this was possible but Kate Scelsa made it possible. This was something that made the book more interesting in my opinion. I loved how we got to really got to know the main characters and their thoughts.

This book touches on depression, low self-esteem, drugs, alcohol and many other themes that are very important to us. Each character has their own story that will keep you wanting more. I honestly hold each and every one of them dear to my heart. They are teenagers still trying to discover their place on earth, which a lot of people can relate to. The chemistry between them was great and it was another thing that made me love them more. 


As I was nearing the end of the book, I swear I thought that their friendship would be destroyed. I thought that was the end for all of them. What I loved most about this book is how it wasn't predictable at all. For once in my life, I predicted something wrong. Am I the only one who liked the open ending? I don't know, I feel like it is now up to me to think of how I want to end the book. 

All in all, I absolutely love this book and I recommend that you go to your nearest bookstore or amazon and buy this super duper amazing book if you haven't read it. Let me know in the comments below if you've read the book and if you agree with me or not. Thank you for reading! :) <3


No comments:

Post a Comment